Admit it or not you love YouTube and that is the love that made you end up reading this article. YouTube has become the second most popular website in the world due to its varied content. YouTube is perfect in its ways, but sometimes we end up in a situation where we want to play YouTube videos in the background and when we try to do that we end up closing YouTube app. If you have faced such problems and you want to play YouTube videos in the background, then you are at the right place.
In this article, I will be covering a quick tutorial on how to play YouTube videos in the background (Android & iOS). But, I would also like to touch upon a sensitive and a topic in demand, which is downloading YouTube music. I would keep the discussion for next time, but as of now, you guys could check out an app called Peggo. Peggo for iPhone and android, both are available.
YouTube Red (Android & iOS)
First, let’s talk about the official way that will do our job. YouTube has a paid subscription to its app, and that is called YouTube Red. If you try to play YouTube videos in the background without the subscription then the app will close, and your video will stop, but when you subscribe to YouTube Red, then you can easily play youtube videos in the background. YouTube Red also offers ad-free and exclusive YouTube content experience.
Using Firefox and Chrome (Android)
There is a trick that is useable with firefox and chrome which will allows you to play YouTube video in the background in Android. You can use either of the apps, but the version of your Chrome should be v.54 or higher.
Here are the steps that you need to follow:
- Open Chrome or Firefox browser and go to YouTube.
- Select and play the video that you want to play in the background.
- Go to Settings by tapping three dots in the right top corner of your app.
- Tap on request desktop site.
- Click on Play button to start playing the video and tap your home button to minimise your app.
- In case you are using Chrome, and your video stops playing. Simply pull down the notification bar and tap on the play button.
Using Safari Browser (iOS)
You might wonder it’s hard to play YouTube videos in the background without jailbreaking your iPhone but don’t worry it is as simple as it was in the case of Android and you don’t need to jailbreak your iPhone to do this.
Here are the steps that you need to follow to play YouTube videos in the background in iOS devices.
- Launch Safari Browser
- Go to YouTube‘s website and navigate to the video you want to play and tap on the play button. If it asks you to open the app, tap on cancel.
- Press home button, when you do that, the video will stop automatically.
- Now, Swipe up the control centre.
- Tap on the play button, and you will notice that your video will start playing in the background.
This trick is very simple and works with most of the people, but in case it doesn’t work for you. You can try using the trick with Opera Mini Browser.
Final Verdict and My Experience:
I often play YouTube video in the background to listen to my favorite music, and I recommend you to use YouTube Red method for better user experience.